magnetic coverage in RSM

Kirk.Borne at gsfc.nasa.gov Kirk.Borne at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 19 08:21:42 PDT 2004

Since astronomy is a remote sensing science, then I suggest looking
at a polarization detector.  For example:  the ESO FORS1 instrument :

     http://www.eso.org/instruments/fors1/pola.html

This detects the magnetic field strength remotely, unlike STP
instruments that detect field strengths in situ.

- Kirk

> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:16:15 +0100 (BST)
> From: Elizabeth Auden <eca at mssl.ucl.ac.uk>
> To: Ray Plante <rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
> Cc: registry at ivoa.net
> Subject: Re: magnetic coverage in RSM
>
> >> Is there a way of indicating that an archive has magnetic coverage in
> >> addition to the usual bandpasses within the RSM Coverage metadata?
> > No.  Sounds like a good idea for an extension.
>
> Thanks Ray -  I'll look into it. If anyone has suggestions or ideas for
> magnetic coverage, please pass them on - I'll start from the viewpoint of
> solar and STP magnetic imagers. If anyone can recommend an astro
> magnetic instrument to look at as well, let me know.
>
> cheers,
> Elizabeth

| Dr. Kirk D. Borne                  | mailto:Kirk.Borne at gsfc.nasa.gov     |
| George Mason University, School of Computational Sciences                |
| NASA Goddard Space Flight Center   | Phone: 301-286-0696                 |
| Code 630                           |                                     |
| Greenbelt, MD  20771               | FAX:   301-286-1771                 |