Drop SkyService?

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 26 11:41:03 PDT 2003

Hi Tony,

Your suggestion would be fine.  One ramification is that if one wants to
provide the coverage info, one must register the collection explicitly.

One intention behind the various resource classes is that, in principle,
a provider would only need to register those resources he/she cares to.
One would not be required to register, for example, an organization or a
data collection to register a service.  However, by doing so, one could
provide richer information, particularly with respect to relationships.

This can lead to some duplicated information as you point out.  I didn't
worry about this, because (for one) the user interface to the
registry could handle this conveniently.  For example, our prototype
registry (http://nvo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/nvoregistration.html) allows one to
register a service by starting with a copy of the DataCollection
description it accesses.

In any event, our model needs to allow for the following:
   *  a data collection might be accessible my multiple services
   *  a service may access multiple data collections.