UCD in the VO registry

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Sep 26 05:07:45 PDT 2003

> (1.1) ...If people really want to put Tables
> (or any other kind of data object) in the global registry,
> then now is the time to speak.

Yes we do need Tables in order to construct queries.

> (1.2)  In Vizier, there is a "catalog" object which generally
> comes from a published paper (curation metadata = Title,
> Author, Abstract etc),and this points to one or more "table"
> objects that have the same sort of metadata as VOTable
> (including UCD).

And this is why.

> (1.3) The VOResource is not expected to hold all metadata...

Yes it is. At least in definition. If an implementation of the Registry
decides *not* to store all the metadata and make calls out to the services
for their metadata then that is okay. The key point is that a Registry
service has to answer all the metadata quesitons about any resource. For
AstrGrid, we will store this in the Registry so that quesitons can always be
answered without worrying about contacting all services.

> (1.4) ...but the UCDs are
> not there, you need to go back to Vizier itself.

No. We don't want to have to make loads of calls to services just to answer
a query on the registry.

> (1.5) It is quite possible to build a registry that
> concentrates on a specific resource type (eg Tables), and
> uses a schema which includes VOResource. It would
> interoperate with standard VO registry at the curation level
> only. However, it would offer additional interfaces and
> queries for its specific  metadata (eg tables, UCD, elephants etc).

The schema should be inclusive otherwise we cannot build standard queries. A
registry or other service may offer facilities outside the IVOA standards
but if we cannot construct a simple registry query because each registry has
a different way of referring to tables (for example) then we'll never get
anything to work without lots of human interpretation of metadata.

> (1.6) I do not believe that anyone should be attempting to
> "add a UCD element" to the registry. This would be much too
> fine grained, ...

Again, I think the schema must be fine grained but any particular
implementation of the registry can decide its own granularity and simply not
replicate or harvest the finer details.

> (2.1) The UCD system is not meant to have the specificity of
> a data model, as Martin would like. My personal opinion is
> that it will be impossible to build a DM that is both widely
> accepted and sufficiently specific, and that a choice must
> always be made between standardization and specificity. In
> UCD we have chosen the former.

I agree that standardization is difficult but we should look at what we want
to do in the VO. We will want tools to be able to act on metadata so the
metadata must be standardized to a reasonable level.

> (2.2) ...In a table, I *must* have
> different names for the columns, and thus the query is
> unambiguous. But a table can easily repeat its UCD -- perhaps
> a table of double stars where there are four columns RA, Dec,
> RA, Dec to show the positions. So the idea of writing a query
> with UCD as "select RA, Dec from Table" is just plain wrong
> -- no matter how specific the UCDs are. The point of the UCD
> is show what is interesting, not to carry us with certainty
> to the end.

Which is why the metadata must include both UCDs and column names so that
where the UCD is not unique, the query constructor can ask the user to pick
the ones they are interested in.