XMM-Newton clarification wrt: Re: OAI as VO Harvesting Interface

posuna at iso.vilspa.esa.es posuna at iso.vilspa.esa.es
Tue Sep 23 07:44:55 PDT 2003

Dear Clive, dear Registry members,

although I have to admit I didn't have time to read in detail all the
mails that have been circulating these days, I found this one from Clive
where the XMM-Newton archive at VILSPA was mentioned, and I would like
to comment a couple of points without entering too much in detail.

> The public XMM-Newton archive (at Vilspa) makes metadata accessible
> down to at least the 4th level of the hierarchy, but to retrieve data
> (I think) you have to get it chunked to the observation level.  That's
> partly because the archive is run on top of a relational DBMS (Oracle)
> which encourages flattening.  Our internal XMM database is deeper, as
> it's run on an object-oriented DBMS, which encourages more baroque
> structures.

The public (and proprietary data) XMM-Newton Science Data archive at
VILSPA that can be found at http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/xsa has got a
powerful java User Interface that allows for searches on many XMM
related parameters.

Products can be downloaded from this interface in "Observation chunks",
as Clive says, but also in "Exposure" chunks, and as well in what is
called "Custom" chunks. These latest chunks define what the
XMM-Newton Archive Scientist has decided to be the smallest package of
data that makes sense as an isolated download.

However, there is another way to access the XMM-Newton Science
Archive data which is through the Archive Interoperability system (whose
SIAP compatible version we released recently and announced at the
interop mailing list) that can be found at:

http://xsa.vilspa.esa.es:8080/aio/doc/

You can see in the AIO Users Manual that you can download any type of
products, including individual files, from this service.

This AIO system is making use of our XMM-Newton Archive Three-tier
architecture which accesses our RDBMS (Sybase, by the way) through a
proper Bussiness Logic that isolates the database access from any form
of external presentation, allowing for changes in the DB without
affecting other parts of the system.

I do not believe that Relational DBMS favour flattening and that Object
Oriented DBMs don't; any flattening on querying a database system comes
normally from a wrong Data Model or request system, but not from the
database system itself. Our AIO package allows request up to the finest
grain possible (a product file) in our project.

Cheers,

Pedro Osuna.

--

Pedro Osuna Alcalaya