Registry service signature for Jan demo

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Tue Sep 23 03:16:03 PDT 2003

We need to settle on a minimum signature for registry services.

A registry service needs to provide two types of method: a) query method on
the resource metadata; b) admin method(s) to allow resource metadata to be
updated.

I would suggest for the Jan demo that we only mandate the query method. Each
project can implement its own admin methods and report back on a minimum
standard for all registries to implement.

==========
The proposal is simply that every registry service must provide at least one
of the methods:

document doQuery(document SQLQuery)
document doQuery(string XQuery)

Where the SQLQuery is an xml document, similar in format to ADQL, and the
XQuery string is what it says, an XQuery which will operate on data stored
according to the schema adopted by IVOA for registries.
==========

If we decide to settle only on one query language for the registry then one
or the other of the above will drop out of the mandatory signature.

Can we mandate both of the above so that we get feedback on which is easier
to implement?

__
Tony Linde                       Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292
AstroGrid Project Manager        Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Dept of Physics & Astronomy      Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
University of Leicester          Email:  ael at star.le.ac.uk
Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH          Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org