VO and ADEC identifiers

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 08:21:52 PDT 2003

I've generally stayed out of this thread since it is only peripheral to the
VO Registry issue, as long as the original identifier remains intact. But I
would like to ask a couple of questions.

Re:
<<So for instance, from this identifier:
        HC.BIMA/BDA#t421/c110.ori
I can quickly figure out that in order to resolve it I need to do a
registry lookup of "HC.BIMA/BDA", find a dataset resolver associated
with it, and then go to the resolver with the string "t421/c110.ori" >>

Can I confirm that the resource identifier of "HC.BIMA/BDA" will relate to a
SkyService (or whatever we end up calling it) which provides access to some
data.

If you want to then send that service the dataset pointer of
"t421/c110.ori", will you need an extra standard method built into the
SkyServices which can resolve that pointer? At the moment, we're likely to
have some sort of doQuery method (in addition to getMetadata, getStatus
etc). Do we need to add a getDataset(string DatasetID) method?

Next question is about how you expect to use these datasets. Since they are
not registered in the VO as resources, a search of a registry will not find
them. I'm not sure you could query a dataset either without yet another
special method (eg queryDataset(string DatasetID, document AdqlQuery) in the
data access services. It is getting a bit silly if we have to add new
methods to all the services in order to handle an entity that the VO does
not recognise. How do you see this being handled?

I guess the simple solution is that if you want to do anything with a
dataset within the VO then it first needs to be registered as a resource.
No?