too much complexity?

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 03:30:36 PDT 2003

Hi Bob,

> throughout this project in urging folks to start simple,
> implement, and see what we've missed or need to change rather

Isn't that what we're doing. AstroGrid has implemented two different
versions of RM in its last two iterations and will implement 0.9 (or 0.8
plus schema 0.8.x) in the next one in time for the Jan demos.

> not understand, or not take the time to learn.  One maxim of
> the VO is to keep the entry cost low.

This is why I keep going on about making the schema flexible enough to be
specific to certain types of resource and using astronomer-friendly entity
names. People will not use a system which seems to have masses of irrelevant
information or naming they do not understand. Let's make it easy for the
users, not the developers (within reason of course).

> Following up this point briefly... I don't think the registry
> metadata should even attempt to track citations TO a

Agreed.

> I think the registry should be able to handle each of the
> catalogs.  If Resources are too coarse-grained we will have

Agreed.

> with huge surveys.  My experience in hand-entering Vizier
> catalogs into the NVO prototype registry suggests that the
> whole thing could be automated, e.g., by parsing the GLU
> dictionary and creating a mapping to the Resource

Yes, we're hoping to do this in AstroGrid iteration 04 and will be meeting
with Francoise and Francois in Strasbourg to see if this is possible.