IVOA Identifiers Working Draft

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 15 10:11:33 PDT 2003

Hi Marco,

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Marco C. Leoni wrote:
>     even after all the "stream", still I don't understand why we need to
> take care of something that is not registered.
> Does this mean that there will be a registry for non-registered resources?
>
> An  Authority can obviously create as many private ResIDs  as it
> prefers, and when it decides to publish those resources then  it needs
> to make the IDs unique VO compliant identifiers.

Perhaps I've made a mountain out of a mole hill.  This is in response to
the concern that the assignment of global identifiers should in
principle be independent of any registry.  The suggested change simply
comes down to removing the guarantee that an IVOA ResourceID is registered
in a registry somewhere.  Is this consistant with what you just said?