Registry discussion

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 15 08:22:42 PDT 2003

> I thought we had something relatively simple but still extensible with RM
> v0.8 and schema v0.8.1.

Agreed. The schema is fine.

> > ** Compatibility with ADEC is the most important new thing in
> > the registry discussion. We should concentrate on that.
>
> This has popped up in the last week and suddenly it is the most iumportant
> thing in the VO world. Why?

The reason we do research is to get journal publications. Once you have
published to VO, it would be good if journal publication (ADEC) is
straightforward. I would like for the systems to be joined -- that way the
journals would cite VO identifiers. I would like for publication to happen
in stages: a personal digital library, then sharing with a group, then
public, then peer-reviewed.

> > ** I don't like the idea of "global registries" or "full
> > registries" that are mandated to hold everything in the VO.
>
> Again, why? If we come up with harvesting/replicating protocols why won't
it
> work? I cannot believe that there'll be that many resources.

Its OK for registries to make an effort at replication. But they cannot
promise to have everything. There is the time-lag for add/delete does the
submitter get an email when their resource is "really" in the VO? There will
need to be rejection criteria for maniacs and nutters. There will be people
like me who think that all 10000 Vizier catalogs should be registered or
else the thing won't get used (maniac? nutter?).

> <<people can choose what their IDs look like. I think the ID should
reflect
> where you can go to resolve it. If the ID says roy.org, then ...>>>
>
> That sounds more complicated to me. Instead of hitting one registry for
your
> metadata, you end up chasing all over the shop hoping that all the
relevant
> services are running.

If there is just one registry, who owns it? If more than one, how many? If
unlimited number, then we are chasing all around the shop. Solution: the ID
points to the place that has the metadata.