Registry discussion

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 15 07:22:47 PDT 2003

Ray and Tony

I think it is time to choose a scheme which is SIMPLER. People who are not
the inventors have to implement this stuff.

** Compatibility with ADEC is the most important new thing in the registry
discussion. We should concentrate on that.

** I don't like the idea of "global registries" or "full registries" that
are mandated to hold everything in the VO. This is IMPOSSIBLE. I don't like
the idea of global registries of registries either. If we need this big new
layer, lets think about it next year when we have some experience.

http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IdAmendPtA
This looks like reinventing the DNS system. A lot of extra work so that
people can choose what their IDs look like. I think the ID should reflect
where you can go to resolve it. If the ID says roy.org, then there should be
a resolver service at roy.org on the internet. There may also be other
places that have harvested roy.org, eg ivoa.net or us-vo.org.

http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IdAmendPtB
Whenever I see ivo:// at the start of an identifier, I will assume some part
of the ID corresponds to an item in a VO registry. If someone wants
identifiers which are not registered, please can they use a different
format.

http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IdAmendPtC
I don't see why we need to be concerned with persistence and location
independence at this time. Looks like everything in this document can be
safely left to next year once the registries are in use (once we know what
we are doing).