Data and services

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 12 11:49:24 PDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Robert Hanisch wrote:
> > A sky service is a service which provides access to a data collection.

> I would prefer to not use "sky service" -- not all of astronomy is about the
> sky.  (Really!)  For example, we would want collections of spectral line
> identifications, oscillator strengths, etc., available as VO resources as
> well.  I think the term "data service" is logically more consistent.

I'm good with "data service", but I should clarify something.  The
"SkyService" resource is distinguished from a generic service in that it
has "Coverage".  That is, the data maps somehow to the sky, frequency,
and/or time.  So a question is, should a "data service" be defined such
that it is *required* to map to at least one of the three?  Or should the
definition be broader than that, making "Coverage" optional.

I like accepting Tony's definition, substituting "sky" with "data", and
making "Coverage" optional.