IVOA Identifiers Working Draft

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Sep 12 11:44:50 PDT 2003

> There is also the separate but related question I posed:  Can an IVOA
> identifier exist for a resource that is not registered
> anywhere?  If so,
> what are the constraints (i.e. "as > long as ...")?

Not really since there is no way the registry can know not to create a
ResourceId that conflicts with it.

> Associating Sa.CXO with a data collection's ShortName is not
> a good idea,
> because there is no guarantee that it is unique and will consistantly
> refer to the same data collection.  This is exactly the role of an
> identifier: to be a unique reference.

It isn't unique but could be used to get a list of data collections which,
if it is >1 in length would need human intervention.

Not ideal but where is the list of associations between Sa.CXO and the
unique identifier held?