People and Cars in the VOregistry?

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 11 12:53:51 PDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Doug Tody wrote:
> This approach is a surprise to me.  I would expect that user registration
> information would be maintained as part of whatever runtime environment
> one is using, separate from the registry.  There can be multiple runtime
> environments, each with their own requirements, which we would like to
> be able to develop independently of the registry.  Furthermore, anything
> involving people, personal profiles, login information, etc. is likely
> to be secure information, whereas the resource and service registry is
> intended to be a much more open, transparent facility.  Don't the Web and
> Grid infrastructures already tend to separate the two areas?

Different registries can have different purposes and contents.  And a
registry does not have to be global and open.  When Astrogrid reuses the
common registry framework for a particular "runtime environment", it's not
only easier for AstroGrid resources to interoperate, but it makes it
easier to open it up to a wider community if and when desired.  This is
the kind of specialization we should encourage.