IVOA Identifiers Working Draft

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 10 12:22:24 PDT 2003

I come back to the compatibility with persistent identifiers for
literature linking and argue against making resource keys mandatory.
The registry should only have the naming authority an be able to
translate that into a root URL, at which point any valid resource key
can be appended.  It would be foolish to insist that all resource keys
at this level of granularity be contained in the registry.

  - Arnold

Ray Plante wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Tony Linde wrote:
> > A few comments on this wrt the sample registry based on the new schema
> > (adil-v0.8.1.xml).
> >
> > Neither resource in the sample (one Organisation and one DataCollection) has
> > a ResourceKey within their identifiers. I think ResourceKey should be
> > mandatory in all resources except one which we should create for, say,
> > Authority: this could hold any info about the authority including a pointer
> > to an organisation.
>
> I went back and forth on this one.  (What I really needed was a second
> opinion.)  I'll change this.
>
> > The document also suggests that only people from a 'naming authority' can
> > add resources to a registry. In my mind, a registry should have a default
> > AuthorityID so that anyone could add a resource to it whether they are from
> > a recognised naming authority or not.
> >
> > A registry could be set up to refuse registrations from non-authority
> > personnel but this should not be the default, I think.
>
> Agreed.  I'll put a clarify remark in the WD.
>
> cheers,
> Ray

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu