IVOA Identifiers Working Draft

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 01:12:05 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

A few comments on this wrt the sample registry based on the new schema
(adil-v0.8.1.xml).

Neither resource in the sample (one Organisation and one DataCollection) has
a ResourceKey within their identifiers. I think ResourceKey should be
mandatory in all resources except one which we should create for, say,
Authority: this could hold any info about the authority including a pointer
to an organisation.

The document also suggests that only people from a 'naming authority' can
add resources to a registry. In my mind, a registry should have a default
AuthorityID so that anyone could add a resource to it whether they are from
a recognised naming authority or not.

A registry could be set up to refuse registrations from non-authority
personnel but this should not be the default, I think.

  http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IVOARegWp03/WD-ID-20030830.html

As with all Working Drafts, this specification is not set in stone, so
please feel uninhibited in your comments.  Major changes are expected;
your comments will drive the direction of those changes.

Feedback can be submitted to the registry list.  I've put a nominal
deadline of October 1 for comments that are to be addressed in the next
version of the Working Draft.

thanks!