Harvesting

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 9 08:39:24 PDT 2003

Hi,

> Firstly, does everyone agree that harvesting is the next big issue?

Yes, I agree that this is the next big issue.  The issue after that is the
interface for querying registries.

Of course, we're not finished with the previous issues, identifiers and
the resource metadata.  Following on Bob's discussion of identifiers, we
are starting to see some drivers for addressing the issue of persistant,
location-independent identifiers, so we will need to address the question
of mirrors that Bob and Pierre have discussed.  The biggest driver is the
NASA ADEC effort to set up persistent dataset identifiers to be cited in
journals.  This brings up several issues that we should discuss elsewhere.

Another aspect of identifiers that needs clarifying is the mechanism for
securing namespaces and checking uniqueness.  Clearly, registries are
needed for this: we know that our standard querying interface must support
a simple "by-identifier" resource query.

> And, if
> so, what work has been done so far in Rwp04 (Keith?) and what needs adding
> to create a proposal?

A major question we need to answer is, can we use an existing standard
(e.g. OAI or something from the Grid world), or is there a compelling
reason to roll our own.

I'm partial to OAI given our success with it, but it does have a few
disadvantages.  I'll try to put together a few sentences about this.

Meanwhile, I might point out for folks who might want to take a closer
peak at OAI, you try out the prototype publishing registry from NCSA.  You
can either visit our own installation at
http://nvo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/nvoregistration.html, or you can install your own
with our VORegistry-in-a-Box package
(http://nvo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/VO/software/VORegistry_in_a_box.tar.gz).  It
comes with an OAI interface ready to go.