Trial 0.8.4

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 10:20:03 PDT 2003

Thanks, Ray.

> saying all resources are curatable.  I'm okay with making Curation

I think if we're going to extend the resource schema into projects,
organisations (and, possibly, people) then they certainly aren't curatable -
an organisation does not have a curator (unless you put the janitor down :)
) so which person associated with an organisation do you put as the
'publisher'?

> I'm concerned that this is the inclusion of the table
> description stuff
> will draw fire on the DataCollection element from NVO.

That's a rather worrying statement.

> Alternatively, if
> you (Astrogrid) define a new, say, TabularDataCollection
> resource class in
> a separate extension schema, you can use it on your end and
> we (NVO) can
> ignore it on ours.

The key reason for including table data is to accommodate ADQL, not
AstroGrid. To use ADQL we need to know what tables and columns are in a data
collection (or the accompanying SkyService). How can you construct a query
if you don't know table names and column names / UCDs?

> (Hmm, I detect that you distinguish between a "table" and a
> "catalogue".
> Could you clarify?)

Catalogue is the data collection which has data in one or more tables -
apologies if I'm using the wrong terms.

> What non-VOTable data are we talking about?  Images?  If

I just thought that the VOTable schema was overkill for what we wanted. 90%
of the schema is pointless and the rest (FIELD) is a completely different
structure to the rest of the registry schema.

> My VOTableColumns element required no changes to the VOTable
> schema.  Note

I see what you mean - but this doesn't allow UCDs to be associated at the
table and collection level, which I understand they can be.