Trial 0.8.4

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 06:59:52 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

>     * Identifier
>     * Title
>     * Summary/Description
>     * Summary/ReferenceURL
>     * Type (at least one value)
>     * Curation/Publisher/Title
>     * Curation/Contact/Name

I can live with all except Curation being mandatory since not all resources
will be curated (happy with Publisher/Title & Contact/Name) - would prefer
Summary to be optional as well for same reason.

> Can we make this a discussion item at our Registry session?

The more we can get sorted beforehand the better: we need to resolve most of
http://ivoa.net/forum/registry/0730.htm .

> I was thinking that it would be better to put this table description
> information into a new Resource class called Table (which
> could inherit
> from DataCollection).  The idea is that some data collections, for
> example, contain images rather than tables.

Maybe a TabularDataCollection and ImageDataCollection - I don't think we'll
get people creating separate Table resources. Or we could have
DataDescription (as I defined it) contain both table and image data so
DataCollection could apply to both - they'd be optional so curator could
fill in whichever was appropriate - would also then apply to colleciton
which held both images and catalogue(s). (This'd also keep the schema
flatter which I thought was a NVO goal.)

I completely agree with separation of classes etc for schema maintenance but
I don't think we can do that this time around (before Jan demo that is) - we
can look at logical separation after Jan (if any of us is still sane!).

>      considered the primary table).  Would it make sense to define,
>      instead of a Table class, a TableCollection class,
> allowing each of
>      the component tables to be described?

I don't think I understand - would this not be solved with a DataCollection
which could describe component tables?

>   *  What do you think of the idea of re-using VOTable elements to
>      describe tables?  Perhaps you saw in "VOTableColumns"

I don't think VOTable is appropriate for the types of table in catalogues,
is it? We cannot really fiddle with the VOTable schema in order to make it
fit non-VOTable data.