DC comments & questions

Robert Hanisch rjhanisch at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 6 06:15:32 PDT 2003

The counterargument that Don Wells has made over the years concerning the
FITS format, is that if you do not use the archival/standard format
directly, then you are less likely to produce truly conforming data.  I
think this situation has been seen already, i.e., when people convert from
various internal formats to FITS, they get things somewhat wrong more often
than when they use FITS directly, as it is then just an "export" format.

Of course, the whole VO initiative is about interfaces and standards.  So,
though it seems to me that it makes a bit more work for resource providers
to maintain dynamic conversion utilities than to encode metadata to DC
directly, at this point I am more concerned that we do Something rather than
debate the merits of one way or the other.

Bob