Minutes MWG 2003-09-25

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 13:08:19 PDT 2003

For the record (and copied to Registry list for further discussions)...

> Some questions about ADQL versus XQUERY, Astrogrid doesn't
> want to use relational databases with human-readable queries
> (SQL, ADQL), they want to use XML database and use XQUERY.

The preference for XQuery is that of a few people in AstroGrid; it is not a
project policy although our current registry implementation is built that
way.

And as we're talking about the interface for a piece of software, I'm not
sure what human-readability has to do with it.

> There was agreement at the Cambridge meeting to use ADQL, but now the
> Astrogrid people seem to be going toward XQuery.

I am absolutely certain that there was no agreement to use ADQL for registry
queries at Cambridge; that makes no sense to me but I'm happy to be educated
:)