Facility and Instrument

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 12:56:59 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

As the base of *all* resources of every kind, the contents of the Resource
type should only contain elements which might apply to each resource type.
Any element which categorically does not belong to any type of resource
should not be part of the Resource schema but should apply at a lower level.
This is definitely the case with Facility and Instrument so they should not
be part of Resource.

Optional elements are those which are optionally applied between instances
of a schema. If an element is *never* to be used in a subclass then it
should not be included in the parent class. The only way of getting rid of
it would be to inherit by restriction which we've agreed is a bad idea.

As for examples: a service which takes a VOTable and returns a plotted
image; a service which takes two VOTables and merges them; a service which
takes an image and returns a catalogue; etc. In short, any service which
does not query a facility- or instrument-related data source.

Why not just make it part of DataCollection and SkyService?