VOResource v0.8.2

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 1 09:59:02 PDT 2003

Hi Anita,

Thanks for your comments!  Again, more catch up on my part...

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Anita Richards wrote:
> 1. Testing schemas
> How are we are going to test the schemas by generating xml describing
> sample data sets, services etc.?  Filling a few in by hand is the best
> way I have found of understanding what is implied and whether it
> matches Registry needs.  These schemas are at the limit of my
> understanding of xml and Arnold Rots' STC schemas are way beyond it,
> but I do not know how to generate complete xml templates (using
> Oxygen) when many elements have 'minOccurs="0"' - please can someone
> enlighten me?

Fair enough.  By this time, you've probably generated some examples;
however, I might suggest the following.  Try using our form at
http://nvo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/nvoregistration.html (or download the server
package at
http://nvo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/VO/software/VORegistry_in_a_Box_0.8.tar.gz).
You can download an XML file with all your descriptions embedded.  One
disadvantage is that this package is not up to data to v0.8.2; you'd have
to tweak the schema a bit.

> 2. Populating the registry
> How are service and data providers going to supply the necessary
> information? The most widely floated suggestion so far is web forms, but
> these should be kept to about 2 pages max or they won't get filled in.
> They need to be self-contained (e.g. each element has a pop-up with
> definition, restrictions - in English) and the processing script needs to
> translate obvious language into restricted terms (e.g. basic data to
> BasicData), convert units approximately etc.

Clearly, if one has many, many resources to register, an automated process
is necessary.

> UCDs
> These should be in the Registry if they exist, possibly under
> Documentation or in the section which includes Coverage.  Attempting
> to impliment the AstroGrid science cases showed that being able to
> search for terms like Proper Motion was very useful.  If UCDs are not
> available nothing is lost but the selection may be more complicated.

This was a level of detail that we had not gotten to, yet; nevertheless,
UCDs are critical to discovery.  (see below)

> source - bibcode etc.
> In RSMV0.8 this is under content but it should be under Documentation
> I think.

I essentially agree--we will try something like this for 0.8.3.

> Data set size and query restrictions, included in AstroGrid registry
> This will be useful e.g. to help decide which catalogue to search
> first in a cross-matching exercise; whether it is necessary to call a
> cut-out server; how long a job will take.
> RSMv0.8 contains examples of query restrictions (e.g. max. radius of
> cone search) which seem useful but are not here.

Each service type will have specialized metadata associated with it.
Today I hope to send out an example that shows how this (and UCDs) can be
included.

thanks again,