Schema 0.8.3

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 1 09:13:39 PDT 2003

Hey Tony,

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Tony Linde wrote:
> > The intended operational difference between the Resource class and the
> > metadata "Type" is that a resource falls into only one class but can have
> > multiple types.  This allows, for example, a data collection to contain
> > survey data and simulations for educational and outreach purposes.
>
> I was seeing type and class as equivalent since there was no Class element
> or attribute. Do we simply use the element name to identify the 'class'?

I would like at least like to try to simply use the element.  Duplicating
the tag in a way that guarantees consistancy complicates the scheme for
defining new Resource classes.  However, if after some experience we find
that some extra tagging of the class would ease handling, we can add it.

> > This is okay.  URL should be optional (with note that it is intended
> > particulary for cases when related resource does not have an
> > identifier).
>
> I only added this for the case of the Facility/Instrument pointers. I'm
> happy to stick with *registered* resources only if we also come up with,
> say, a SeeAlso type which includes a URL and a Description - might be neater
> in fact.

Ooo, I like this SeeAlso.

As for the other issues--Dublin Core, Facility/Instrument--I'd like to
give other people a chance to comment before responding further.