Resource Identifiers and Resource Type Identifiers

Paul Harrison pah at jb.man.ac.uk
Fri Nov 21 02:59:51 PST 2003

As the VO grows bigger it likely that we will be deploying several
instances of the same type of service. There are two cases that I can
think of

a) failover - where the service instances would be idential clones
b) same functionality, different algorithms - e.g. there could be
several services providing photometric redshifts

In both these cases if writing code to hunt the registry there needs to
be a way of hunting for specific instances of service as well as being
able to search for types or classes of service.

In the schema it seems that the vr:Identifier for a vr:ServiceType
fulfils the role of uniquely specifiying a service instance, however in
the case of specifying the type of a service the situation appears to be
more ambiguous.

There are;

vr:LogicalIdentifier
vr:RelatedResource
vr:Capability

each of which could conceivably be used to specify the "type" of the
service. I am interested to gather opinions about this from the
community, as I think it would be good to have a convention (that could
perhaps be enshrined by making the schema more strict on one of the
above elements) for identifying service types. Since, as mentioned above
(and has already recognised in the case of UCDs), it is essential to
have well defined names for types to be able to write software more easily.

--
Dr. Paul Harrison, Astrogrid Programmer
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,