resource identifiers

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed May 28 01:28:04 PDT 2003

Hi again, Ray,

I think that at heart I am really uncomfortable with having the ResourceID
including a component that never gets used in the registry.

The ResourceID should be used solely to describe a resource registered
within the VO and this requires only the AuthorityID and the ResourceKey. If
we want to identify *parts* of a resource which are used only by one or more
services, it ought to be up to that service to define those schema. So SIA
could have:

<SiaImageID>
  <ResourceID>
    <AuthorityID>www.ncsa.uiuc.edu</AuthorityID>
    <ResourceKey>ADIL/SIA/targeted</ResourceKey>
  </ResourceID>
  <ImageKey>95.DR.01.01.fits</ImageKey>
</SiaImageID>

Other services which require more detailed structure would include that
detail in their own schema using multiple tags. The ResourceID should be
used solely to uniquely identify the resource.