Rwp03: RSM changes

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Tue May 27 14:40:58 PDT 2003

> It was a three-day weekend here in the States, so I didn't

As it was in UK, but more like the end of a seven-day week (and beginning of
another) for those of us preparing the AstroGrid-2 bid to PPARC. (I
shouldn't really be spending time on this!)

> I'm wondering about your use of the word 'service'

Me too. Let me play devil's advocate and ... (I've cut the text here into a
separate email)

> As you might recall from my presentation, the VOResource XML schema
> identifies several classes of resources--organization, project, data

I agree with the idea, but not with some of the types you identify
(organization, project etc.).

> motivation.  Do you expect that people will want multiple ways of
describing
> themselves (i.e. saying the same thing with different schemas), or are
> you trying to address the issue of different resources types will need a
> different set of vocabulary to describe themselves?

Yes :) ie, both

> Perhaps you could give an example of the situation you want
> to address.

Catalog, image collection, data copier, Sextractor, generic visualisation
service, cube extraction, ...

> example, I envision that a description of an SIA service will
> use the VOSIA schema, which extends the VOResource schema.

If you're saying, Ray, that different resources will supply generic metadata
and then supply resource-specific metadata then that is what I'm saying - I
think. This is the first I've heard of 'extend[ing] the VOResource schema'.

But we need to regulate the extensions to the VOResource schema otherwise
everyone creates their own - which is why I proposed standardised SMF
schemas.

> I feel like this is essentially the roadmap that WP03 is on.

Excellent!