resource identifiers

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri May 23 10:49:33 PDT 2003

I think we need to keep the <keyword>=<value> structure in case a resource
has more than one field. Likewise, the standard states that the <path> is
the unique identifier for the resource within the authority, so <path> =
ResourceKey and <query> is used for resource specific stuff.

I don't know where the standard for <keyword>=<value> comes from for the
structure of the query string, but it is pretty much ubiquitous in all the
web-based stuff I've come across. Eg just tried clicking stuff in the AG
forum and got:
  http://forum.astrogrid.org/post.php?action=edit&PID=307

Or, indeed:

http://an.oa.org/OAI-script?verb=ListIdentifiers&from=1998-01-15&metadataPre
fix=oldArXiv&set=physics:hep

I'm not sure what to say about the OAI problem.

I think that if we want to stick with the IETF standard we must have:
  ivo://<AuthorityID>/<ResourceKey>

If we mandate that we can only have ONE in-resource identifier (a bookmark,
say) then we might use the '#' fragment delimiter, so:
  ivo://<AuthorityID>/<ResourceKey>#<RecordKey>

But I am reluctant to limit the whole future scope of the registry ID in
that way. I think my earlier proposal of:

<ResourceID>
  <AuthorityID>ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/nvo/registry</AuthorityID>
  <ResourceKey>ADIL/SIA/targeted</ResourceKey>
  <Query>
    <p1>95.DR.01.01.fits</p1>
    <p2>wibble</p2>
  </Query>
</ResourceID>

where everything inside the Query tag is resource-specific and which
translates into:

ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/nvo/registry/ADIL/SIA/targeted?p1=95.DR.01.01.fits&p
2=wibble
is the more flexible approach.