resource identifiers

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri May 23 08:23:53 PDT 2003

Clive

> The presence of characters such as = and & is absolutely no problem at
> all.  It was all solved back in 1994, and the solution is called
> URL-encoding.

And I have known about URL encoding since before you were born.  :-)

It just seems a shame to start with a syntax with this big "gotcha" in it.
Oops, your code doesn't work because you forgot to escape the = sign that we
planted in there. Can't we find a URI syntax that will not trip up our
developers? For example
ivo://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/nvo/registry?ADIL/SIA/targeted#95.DR.01.01.fits

On another level, I have tried to read the URI syntax, but I cannot see that
what has been suggested actually is a legal URI. Does the URI syntax really
allow these keyword-value pairs with & and = signs? Please can someone
confirm this point?

Roy