MyUCDs & Registry

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Tue May 20 02:16:08 PDT 2003

I've read the posts from yesterday in more detail and have a couple more
points:

4. It has been suggested a couple of times that the Registry should be able
to take in complete data-oriented queries and should analyse these to
determine a) which resources can answer the query and b) how to formulate
the query for each resource.

On b) I don't think the registry should ever do this - it should be left to
the resource to translate a standard format (VOQL, AQL) query into its own
format.

Point a) is more problematic. It would be nice if the Registry could do this
but I would prefer to keep the registry simply answering questions about
resource metadata and leave it to the workflow engine to construct the
standard query from the user's statement of needs. At this stage of VO
development, it might pay to keep such components separate to speed
evolution and possibly bring them together later.

5. Should the Registry store the column names and units used in a catalog or
data table? I would say 'definitely' for the column names and 'probably' for
the units. The column names are essential to resolve duplicate UCDs before a
generic query is farmed out. Units may not be needed. Would a user need to
know the units a column's data is stored in? Not if the query uses UCDs and
standard units for those UCDs - it is then up to the resource to resolve the
standard query into a sql query by unit conversion. Any other reasons for
storing units?

*NOTE: when I talk about the registry 'storing' metadata, I simply mean that
the registry must answer questions about that metadata and be able to return
it; whether an implementation of a registry stores it or retrieves it from
the resource when needed is strictly an implementation issue.

6. Gretchen mentions wanting to get started building a registry. This is
exactly what we are doing in AstroGrid. No-one should wait for the final
V1.0 registry specification. Let's work with what we've got and feed the
results back into the deliberations. As long as everyone expects to do at
least 300% refactoring :)