ranges

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu May 1 09:48:37 PDT 2003

Another existing example of this, similar to the CVO model is the simple
spectral bandpass model used in SIA.  This defines the following to
characterize a spectral bandpass:

    ID, Unit, RefValue, HiLImit, LoLimit

where the bandpass is characterized numerically (and reliably) by the
reference or characteristic value and the range (high and low limits).
ID is undefined by the standard but is usually the informal filter name
or bandpass name used by the institution that took the data.  Unit is only
allowed to take on a couple of values since this is not a user interface.

This provides both short, familiar names for queries and so forth, plus
a numerical range to rigorously define the bandpass.  This same approach
could be used for any similar quantity as with CVO.

Doug