AstroGrid registry structure

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 15:02:18 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

I've had another crack at the registry structure using what I think is a
similar approach to yours:

http://wiki.astrogrid.org/pub/Main/TonyOnRegistryStructure/tlRegistry05.xsd

http://wiki.astrogrid.org/pub/Main/TonyOnRegistryStructure/tlRegistry05.gif

I can see the benefits of using the complexType structure. It does mean you
can create new schemas (as with the SIA one) wholly from the basic types.
That said, I think the approach of using basic elements as in
tlRegistry03.xsd where the SkyService is simply an optional subtype of the
Service element also has its attractions.

On the whole, though, yours is certainly simpler to maintain and easier to
add whole new classes of resource; it also means the user simply chooses up
front which type/class of resource is being added and then fills in the
elements.

Is this version closer to what you think we should end up with as a
structure for the Registry metadata schema?