Data set metadata schemas

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Thu Jun 19 10:06:05 PDT 2003

Anita -- thanks for the pointers.  For others who may wish to review Anita's
suggestions, note that the correct URLs are
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/RegistryUnits and
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/RegistryServiceMetadataConcepts.

When you say something "needs a namespace of recognized abbreviations" (as
in Ticker/ShortName and PublisherID) do you mean like a pick-list?  We have
had some debate over whether ShortName really needs to be unique.  Stock
symbols are, and conflicts are resolved with sometimes rather arbitrary
choices (LUV for Southwest Airlines, for example).  So far it is only the
Identifier that we have strictly required to be unique.  I guess my approach
would be to leave ShortName to the discretion of the resource publisher, and
see if non-uniqueness is really a problem.  Of the Sloan Digital Sky Survey
and Schmidt Data Service System, who owns SDSS?  Does it matter that they
both use the same initials?

Am not sure about DataSize.  There can be many answers for a given resource.
HST archive DataSize might be 10 TB (entire holdings), 300KB (number of rows
in pointings catalog), 160 MB (size of an ACS observation data set), 10 KB
(size of a GIF preview image), etc.

UCDList:  Not sure this is practical.  A resource could have information on
hundreds of UCDs.  I'm not sure I could get through registering even one
resource if I had to figure out in advance all the UCDs it might be able to
provide information about.  And do we actually learn anything by putting in
things like POS_EQ_MAIN_RA when we also have metadata about spatial
coverage?

I think the place to handle healpix is in the Space-Time Metadata.

We need a general specification concerning what to do with unknown,
unspecified, or unapplicable metadata elements.  For the RSM document I
think I will use those or similar strings, recognizing that they might be
implemented in other ways (NULL field in a database, for example, for
unspecified).

Another potential metadata element we may wish to consider adding is a
bibliographic reference, namely, the bibcode.

I don't think we need to debate the above points extensively right now.  In
the interest of moving ahead, as recent e-mails from Francoise Genova and
Andy Lawrence have advocated, I will now try to finish up the RSM draft as
quickly as possible.

Thanks,
Bob