Registry WG: Attention/Action

Clive Page cgp at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 01:49:54 PDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Ray Plante wrote:

> This is not quite correct.  I think we have agreed to move toward Web/Grid
> Services when it comes to standard services.  However, what the RSM
> suggests is that there are many things that we want to register that are
> not strictly services.  These include things that in managerial sense
> exist "above" services, including organizations, projects/missions, and
> data collections that are accessible by many or no services.  There are
> other abstract things we may wish to register so that they can be
> referenced by more concrete things; these include standards or, say,
> commonly cited coverages.

I'm not entirely convinced that these things really have to be in the
Registry, nor how practical it will be to maintain them.  If these bits of
information cannot be gathered automatically, they will depend on
continuous human intervention to keep them up-to-date and self-consistent
throughout all the registries.

> (Furthermore, we want to register legacy
> services which are not Web Service based.)

I agree this is a problem with what I suggested - except that WSDL is
capable of describing CGI-based services, so as a temporary measure such
descriptions could be set up by hand.

--
Clive Page,
Dept of Physics & Astronomy,