Registry WG: Attention/Action

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Mon Jun 16 11:43:00 PDT 2003

Apart from 2-4 regulars, few people have been involved in recent
discussions. We need you to get involved NOW. There are disagreements which
I think need wider discussion. A few questions for you - I'll expect me,
Bob, Ray etc to answer but I would like *everyone* on this list to get
involved in the discussion.

1. Should the RSM document be a Working Draft (WD), ie a document approved
by this group as the basis for a future standard?

2. Should RSM (Resource and Service Metadata) be renamed to RM (Resource
Metadata)?

3. What structure should the next WD take: a flat one based on Ray's
VOResource.xsd or a hierarchical one similar to the one's I've posted
recently?

4. Should the metadata for a resource be unambiguous and each item named for
its purpose or should we have a basic set of metadata which is used to fit
requirements of different types of resource?

4a. Should the basic resource metadata be based on Dublin Core or should
metadata items be named for their astro meanings (and transformed to DC form
if needed for DC-tools harvesting)?

5. Should the group discuss the structure of resource metadata now and only
issue a new WD when that discussion is more stable or should we issue a new
version of RSM/RM and get people to build software based on that proposal
and then discuss the structure?

Please don't ignore this message. I think discussions on these issues have
reached blockage and we need fresh input to get them moving again.

Many thanks,
Tony.
__
Tony Linde                       Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292
AstroGrid Project Manager        Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Dept of Physics & Astronomy      Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
University of Leicester          Email:  ael at star.le.ac.uk
Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH          Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org