AstroGrid registry structure

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Jun 13 02:53:31 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

Quick response as I have other work I have to get done today.

I've said that I'm not familiar with schema creation and am happy for you to
show me how my schema should be done. I'll read the doc you suggested and
try and improve it myself over the weekend.

Put simply, my biggest problem with VOResource schema is that, if I expand,
say, Project, I see that (unless I am misreading) I must include Curation
information and can include Coverage and Content information. To my mind,
these are not relevant to the description of a project. Where do I store the
information about the project funders or other project information? We've
not yet even had a debate about what information is stored about project,
person, group, etc. Organisation has the same structure - why?

I want to see metadata for a type of entity that is unambiguous and clearly
describes the entity. If your model does this, please explain how and where.
I think that if we can sort out this issue, we'll be able to move forward.

.html). It represents the beginnings of a style guide for defining metadata
with XML Schema that I've been working on in conjunction with the VOResource
modeling work.  It's a work in progress, but I believe the basic ideas there
are applicable to all our data modeling--not just for registry metadata.  If
there are things there you don't agree with, I think we need to talk about
it.  Consult the VOResource schema and example described in section 1 for
examples of these techniques (or just ask me questions).

P.S: on a related item:

> we do not disagree on the registry content. Every
> resource will go in the/a registry....
> the summary lists the *full* registry mode; ...
> the uml diagram shows all resources as
> belonging to a common class of ResourceRegistry.

Okay.  I saw both these in your documents; however, the "is-a" symbol under
ResourceRegistry confused me.  I interpreted this as saying that a
ResourceRegistry comes in one of the three forms below it.  Should it be a
"has-a" relationship with "0..1"?