Registry usecases

Niall Gaffney gaffney at stsci.edu
Wed Jan 29 12:41:29 PST 2003

Roy,

I think were going the right way. I have added some comments on 2 and 3
to sort of look at what sorts of advanced registry queries we can handle
to help the user choose the right services for their problem.

Roy Williams wrote:

>2> I have discovered a subclass of dwarf galaxies that fall into a
>particular color, color, absolute V mangeude space.  I need to get

>I'm not sure what are the dependancies you are talking about. Perhaps
>you could define more closely this "Sloan - 2Mass cross correlation
>color service"?

This is just someones results of combining Sloan and 2Mass which now
resides as a catalog availble from the VO.  It has the coverage region
of Sloan. What it is is not important, just that it has the information
with UCDs that can be made into the UCDs that are what I need.

So not to go into implemetaton too much (I'll implement a couple of
users but not the registry)...here is a couple of flows of how this
might be done.

1> Query registry for photometric catalogs for these objects that have
the UCDs I need
2> Discover that there is derived photometry in a catalog that does the
trick for region X
3> Query registry for data sources that cover NOT X that have data from
which I can derive the UCDs that are of interest to me
4> Discover that for the region NOT X there are data providers to do the
trick from two data sources

Its this handling of the regions and logic (we might need NOT X AND NOT
Y too) in both the query and the results that is the power here.

>>3> I want to make the highest S/N image of a region of the sky in the V
>>

>>band from all images available to study a very distant galaxy cluster's structure.

>This wants metadata about the survey itself (sky coverage), plus
>metadata about an image survey (resolution, wavebands). Probably the
>"independent observation" part you would have to check carefully
>yourself, I wouldn't want to trust a computer with that.

I agree that checking it yourself is probably the way to go, but if the
registry gives me the metadata and methods to backtrack the parents
lineage, I could do the research quickly.

However my second use case shows a different reason for having the
registry know about some form of lineage.  By knowing which dataparent
was not the limiting factor in the all sky coverage of the catalog, you
could make sure you use the 2-mass data to fill out the other half of
the sky, combining it with some other souther sky optical survey of our
choosing.

Looking at Rays use cases I think most of what is needed is listed in
there.  I think the power of logic on regions and some simple lineage
infomation will take us the rest of the way.

Niall