OAI for VO registries

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 17 15:09:17 PST 2003

Hi,

I've written a document entitled "An Evaluation of the Open Archives
Initiative for VO Registries" which I've posted in the NVO Doc repository
and the IVOA wiki site:

  http://bill.cacr.caltech.edu/cfdocs/usvo-pubs/files/evaloai.html
  http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/RegistryRequirements/evaloai.html

For those of you who saw an earlier draft, this final version completes
the sections on "Fit to Requirements" and "Conclusions and
Recommendations".

The abstract is below.

An Evaluation of the Open Archives Initiative for VO Registries

Abstract
The Open Archives Initiative is an effort within the digital library
community to develop and promote interoperability standards that enable
the dissemination of electronic content. At the core of the Initiative is
the Protocal for Metadata Harvesting (PMH) standard through which a data
repository can publish metadata about its holdings. While its heritage is
in supporting "e-print" repositories, the intended market is clearly
broader and could be used to publish any kind of data. In this document, I
give an overview of the Harvesting Protocoal, evaluating it in terms of VO
registry requirements. In conclusion, I make some recommendations about
how OAI may be applied to VO registry applications. The OAI PMH does not
address all of our requirements; however, it does have some nice features
that could be made part of our overall registry solution.