Scope of registry

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 7 10:37:30 PST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Clive Page wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Roy Williams wrote:
> > In the OAI model...
> >
> > This is a pretty basic set of services!
>
> That seems to me rather more basic than will be suitable for what we want.

There are a few things to keep in mind when thinking about how we might
use OAI's harvesting interface.

1.  The harvesting interface, with its 6 basic services, is meant to be
    used by a registry to get information from data providers.  The
    example query you cited is typical of one a user will as of a
    registry.  Yes, for this, a different interface is needed.

2.  I would expect that the "records" harvested from a data site will
    typically be of a high level:  they will describe data collections and
    services.  Typically, to get detailed information about individual
    images, catalogs, records from catalogs, etc., a query would be sent
    directly to the data provider.  Obviously, a different interface (a la
    cone search, SIA, etc.) is needed.

3.  We may discover that an additional harvesting service might be needed,
    and we could extend it as necessary.  However, of course, we should
    see if we can get away without doing that, if possible.