Scope of registry

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Feb 7 02:17:46 PST 2003

Continuing the OAI theme: this should be achievable. If, as I suggested
in a previous message, we have a Metadata Format for each resource type
(catalog, archive, dataset, table merge service etc.), then the format
schema for each type will list the fields (with content constraints)
that will be used to describe that resource type.

Many of the resource types will have common fields, eg wavelength,
position, observationType, etc. It will then be possible to submit a
registry query which looks at *all* resource types whose schemas contain
the fields (wavelength, position, observationType). You could also
restrict the query to, say, only return resources of type 'catalog'. You
might also make some of the criteria, eg observationType optional, so
any resource type whose schema does not include observationType (or
where the observationType was included but missing on some records)
would also be included in the search, but only using the first two
criteria.

Once we've got this working, some projects may want to look at ways of
building some intelligence into the interpretation of the schema fields.
Eg, it may be possible to deduce (with a calculable probability factor -
which might be included in the query) one field from combinations of
other fields. The next step will be to bring ontological inference into
the deduction process.