continuing registry discussions...

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 6 10:39:37 PST 2003

> this is good - but can I suggest that people try to distinguish between
> US-VO specific discussions and generic IVOA registry issues ? I have
> found some of the last few days discussion even more confusing than I
> usually do .... then when I noticed that messages said things like
> "further to my point in the telecon ..."  or "thanks for the use-cases
> Fred" etc, I began to understand why it was so hard to follow ...

Good idea, Andy.  I thought I should clarify a bit...the current stage of
our discussion has been at the level of requirements and specifications,
and I think it's fair to say that every idea floated at this point is a
potential IVOA issue.  We may get to a point where details are more
specific to particular projects--perhaps when we start to prototype
things--and it might be helpful to split things off.  When you think
we're getting to that point, do let us know.  For now, we've been finding
the cross-project discussion useful.

So NVO/US-VO-ers: Don't be afraid to use a salutation like the one I just
used to temporarily narrow the discussion.  Stuff specific to our
telecons, we'll keep on the us-vo metadata list.

Besides the ongoing discussion of registry requirements and use cases, we
plan to discuss more possible specifications for identifiers, that I think
would benefit from international scrutiny.  (I can summarize to this list
the discussion we had on this topic at this week's telecon.)  Do you think
it would be appropriate to have that discussion on this list, or should we
solidify our ideas internally a bit before presenting it to this forum?  I
would prefer the former, but I don't want to be a litter bug.