Scope of registry

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Thu Feb 6 06:31:32 PST 2003

One thing that has come to me in thinking about this
issue is that there is potentially a difference between
the granularity of a registry and that of a registry service.

Consider a registry as being
a table having only a high-level (low-granularity) information
about services.  The services themselves provide some protocol
that gives fine-grainded information.  To give a concrete
example, the registry might contain a reference to the
Chandra archive, the NTT archive, and so forth.  Part of the
information the registry has about the Chandra archive
is its coverage service, which a user can invoke to get
fine grained information about the position of Chandra observations.
In some sense we might think of this as a registry hierarchy:
an observation catalog is a 'registry' of the observations
described.

However, there is no reason why a registry service that a user
(or other software) might invoke, couldn't take advantage of
both of the registry and the coverage services.  I could see this working
something like DNS services on the Web.  When a domain name server
is queried about some name it goes and queries a chain of services
until it resolves the name.  When it's queried a second time for
the same name, it uses a local cache.  Users tend to communicate
with only a subset of internet nodes, so the relatively small local
cache gives a local user almost the same benefit as if it had the
full listing of all X billion web addresses.

Similarly when a registry service
is queried about about observations in a given region the first
time it looks at in coarse information to determine possible services
and based upon that and other user criteria is goes off
and gets fine grained information from the appropriate services.
Since this information doesn't change rapidly, and people tend
to be interested in the same regions of the sky, the registry
service caches the fine grained information for a period of
time of the order of hours or days perhaps longer for
unchanging data sets.

We don't get static coupling of the various services with
the registry, which we'd have if the registry itself contained
the fine grained information, but the user is likely to get
most of the speed advantage of having the data all in one place.
I'd envisage the particular case of registries and coverage
services as being a specialization of some more generic support
for registry hierarchies.

If we can agree upon a standard protocol by which a archive
gives the detailed information, then I think this approach
will be easier for all sides: the data providers who provide only
overview information to the registry, the registry
builders who don't need to worry about synchronization of data
and the users who get the latest information soonest.  I don't
even think it will be very hard to implement in the registry services.

	Tom McGlynn