On ID "sameness"

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 5 09:38:41 PST 2003

Ray Plante wrote:
> > Therefore I believe the ID question devolves to a question of what
> > documentation bundle goes with one of the tokens.
> >
> > "Sameness" is a matter of compring ID strings. If they are different, we
> > must look to their metatdata for any possible relationships. We should not
> > overload our ID with extra stuff and try to be all things to all people.
>
> The question then is, under what circumstances should two things (or two
> references to things) be refered to by identical IDs?  I would infer from
> your discussion that it mean that the two things have identical
> documentation bundles associated with it.  Yes?

Nah, not really, I think, because it depends on the specification of
what needs to be included in the bundle: if you have a gif and a jpeg
image that represent the same scene, should their documentation
bundles be expected to include a description of their graphical
formats?

  - Arnold

> cheers,
> Ray

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu