handling metadata with multiple values

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 5 11:43:16 PDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Robert Hanisch wrote:
> Creator = R. Hanisch
> Creator = T. Linde
> etc.
>
> for as many entries as are needed.  Can anyone comment on the merits of this
> approach vs. what we are doing?  Perhaps it does not matter.

This is partly an encoding issue; multiple values may be rendered in a
different way depending on the format.  What is not an encoding issue is
indicating for which metadata multiple values are allowed.

In the last version of the last version of VOResource, I had defined what
I call "list elements", eg. <SUBJECT> whose content was a list of values
which looked something like:

   <SUBJECT>
     <item>...</item>
     <item>...</item>
     <item>...</item>
   </SUBJECT>

After our experience with the prototype registry, we decided it was better
to just say...

   <SUBJECT>...</SUBJECT>
   <SUBJECT>...</SUBJECT>
   <SUBJECT>...</SUBJECT>

Tony is okay with this style, too, so that's where I expect to see us
going.