definition of registry

Robert Hanisch rjhanisch at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 30 10:34:52 PDT 2003

Don't let the lawyer jokes get to you, Elizabeth!

Is it worth making a distinction between "about" and "contained by"?
"Metadata" is information about other information.  And do we need to
restrict ourselves to resources "available to a grid"?  Or do we assume that
any resource on the Internet is also on the grid?

I guess I would suggest

    A registry is a dynamic database of metadata describing a set of
Internet-available resources.

Whether there is a network of registries and what their relationships are is
an implementation issue, not something inherent in the definition.

One could go on to describe a bit more about the use of the registry, to
elaborate:

    A registry is used to identify and locate resources satisfying
user-specified criteria, and to direct more detailed information requests to
the relevant services.

Helpful?

No more lawyer jokes, Andy!

Cheers,