RWP04: Registry Replication

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 09:07:31 PDT 2003

Hi Wil,

> So why not just use the SQL

The SQL does not exist. The query is derived from a set of drop-down boxes
on a form, not just typed in. It would be more work for the portal workflow
component to construct the SQL and for the registry to parse it and amend it
to whatever database schema is used than to take in a generic query
structure in xml form and turn that into the appropriate SQL (or whatever)
for the way that the registry is stored.

> Also I feel a WebService is the best way to access something
> like this - making it easy to build registry queries into any
> other apps we are making...

We are using web services (and later, grid services).

http://sdssdbs1.stsci.edu/nvo/registry/Registry.asmx

Normally we would expect this to be called in code although you may invoke
it using a form  also
http://sdssdbs1.stsci.edu/nvo/registry/Registry.asmx?op=QueryRegistry

http://sdssdbs1.stsci.edu/nvo/registry/Registry.asmx/QueryRegistry?predicate
=Publisher+like%27%25Roy%25%27+and+Subject+like+%27%25Optical%25%27+or+Subje
ct+like+%27%25Radio%25%27

Also I feel a WebService is the best way to access something like this -
making it easy to build registry queries into any other apps we are
making...

wil