lifetime of standards

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 13:28:03 PDT 2003

More sensible reply...

> This somewhat begs the issue of what the VO will look like in
> a few years.

I hope that in a few years (probably more than a few), there won't be a VO.
It'll be a fading memory. Some geeks will still insist that the standards
are important but no-one will pay much attention to them (except the
software developers who will obey the standards almost without thinking).
Astronomers will use the tools available to run data reduction, analysis,
visualisation etc without ever wondering where the tools or data are
located.

The infrastructure that we're creating will simply exist and people will get
on with the science without thinking about what makes it possible (I neither
know nor care how tcp/ip or the other gubbins of the internet works).

Guys like me who aren't astronomers will be working on holographic
visualisation (or still trying to get ontologies to work :) ).