policy issues

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 14 08:06:28 PDT 2003

Wil

Accuracy of what? Clearly you have some context in mind, you are working to
describe some class of entity, and make those descriptions available through
the registry.

But perhaps the right solution here is not to tailor the generic VOResource
schema so that it can describe the class that you are thinking of. Perhaps
the right thing to do is to make a specific schema to describe whatever it
is you are putting in your collection.

Suppose I want to make a collection of VO resources that cover neutrino
astronomy. Should I also write to Ray asking that "neutrinoType" be added to
the VOResource schema, so that I can search on it? No. What I should do is
to work with other neutrino people, make a schema that describes the
neutrino astronomy part of the resource, and get it approved by the VO
committees.

Now, when I browse the registry, it will tell me that (at least) two
metadata descriptions are available -- both the generic VOResource and also
the VOneutrino schema. I can then choose to see the entitiy in either the
general or the specific way.

Just my $0.02
Roy

--------
Caltech Center for Advanced Computing Research
roy at cacr.caltech.edu
626 395 3670