lifetime of standards

Elizabeth Auden eca at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 07:02:39 PDT 2003

Hello,

I was asked a few questions that I couldn't answer today:

1. Once IVOA releases standards this December for the registry and other
workgroups, will anyone maintain them after December 31st?

2. How long will IVOA as an entity exist?

3. Depending on the answers to 1 and 2, could maintenance of standards be
passed to another, longer term group (such as W3, IEEE, or GGF)?

Does anyone have any ideas? People at MSSL are thinking about the PPARC
announcement of $$$ for generation 2 UK grid proposals due at the end of
May. They're asking how they can "grid-enable" (and they always make
finger quote gestures at this point) various data archives and data
processing software.

Something to mull over while eating chocolate bunnies this weekend, I
think.  If you have Friday and Monday off, have a great holiday weekend.

cheers,
Elizabeth