policy issues

Elizabeth Auden eca at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 11 04:11:14 PDT 2003

Hello,

I only have opinions on two of Bob's policy questions for now:

> · Do we need to control or restrict in any way the ability of groups or
> individuals to register resources and services?

I suggest restricting this ability to groups / individuals registered with
a VO (ie, on Astrogrid they'd have to have an AstroPass certificate).  I
think this would reduce the risk of malicious entries or changes, and it
would make it much easier to track down erroneous changes made
accidentally by a legitimate user.

> · Should we, and if so, how do we, control the number and quality of
> registry servers/ services themselves?  How do we assure that multiple
> registry services are properly synchronized?  Do we care if different
> registries focus on different types of resources and services, or should
> all registries be 100% inclusive?

Different registries should be able to focus on different resources; there
could be one registry completely devoted to STP data, for example.  As
long as each registry has service listings for "other registries" along
with data provider, data transformation, and data storage services, then a
registry can pass a request for resources onto the other registries it
knows about.  Perhaps each registry could be configured to either 1)
automatically accept any new registry or registry service entries, or 2)
seek approval from the registry administrator before adding entries.
Option 2 would be more work for various humans, but it may avoid entries
for "Big BillyBob's Registry of Snazzy Stars".

As web services catch hold, there may be the possibility that they could
scan the web for automatic web services registers, latch on to them, and
inundate a registry with services that help you "win big by sending 30
MILLION AMERICAN DOLLARS to distressed Nigerian farmers".  I know that's a
rather paranoid stance, but it happened with email (and most of the IVOA
mail lists).

cheers,
Elizabeth