policy issues

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Thu Apr 10 12:29:30 PDT 2003

One of the charges to Rwg1 concerns identifying policy matters relevant to registries.  Tony, Marco, and I have assembled this list of issues.

Bob

Registry Policy Issues

Draft, 10 April 2003

As we move forward in the development of Resource and Service Registries for the Virtual Observatory, we can anticipate needing to deal with several policy issues.

·         Do we need to control or restrict in any way the ability of groups or individuals to register resources and services?  Thus far we have tried to be as open and inclusive as possible, though we then have the risk of people registering poor quality or inappropriate services, or of permitting some sort of malicious corruption to the registries.

·         Should we develop some sort of VO endorsement for registered resources and services, i.e., a "seal of approval"?  Such endorsements could be managed by the various national projects, with a national endorsement serving as an implicit IVOA endorsement for IVOA member organizations.  What process should we use to review and grant such endorsements?

·         We will need to have some editorial control over the registries, e.g., to remove inappropriate and inactive resources and services, and to correct erroneous entries.  Who should have this responsibility, and how is editorial access controlled?

·         Should we, and if so, how do we, control the number and quality of registry servers/ services themselves?  How do we assure that multiple registry services are properly synchronized?  Do we care if different registries focus on different types of resources and services, or should all registries be 100% inclusive?

We do not propose to define these policies in detail now, but should bear in mind the eventual need to implement certain controls as we design the VO Registry facilities